Monday, January 5, 2015

January 4, 2015

January 4, 2015



Witch hazel 1-4-15

{Note: Here is an update on witch hazel blooming from David Wiesenberg of The Wooster Book Company:

It's never too early to anticipate spring. I went over to the Arboretum today to look over the stand of black and sugar maple trees in compartments D2 and D4 which I tap for sap and of course took a general look and walk around. Last fall, I started looking for witch hazels in bloom as a graduate student in entomology was hoping to gather its pollen to fill in a database. In mid-October of last year, I noticed that a few small witch hazel plants (Hamamelis virginiana) were blooming along the blacktop path by the slide and play area. I sent my friend a note of head's up.

In any event, witch hazel was on my mind this winter and I saw a few blooms right at the base of a different species of witch hazel (H. vernalis) along the path between the entrance pavilion and the Nault pond on Christmas day. As you can see, more have sprung. Now my goal will be to see one of the woody capsules catapult its seeds.

As a post script, I might mention that many of the witch hazels that are sold commercially are often hybrid crosses with Asian species. The one in our backyard, for example, doesn't look typical of either H. virginiana or H.vernalis.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment